Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reading Other Peoples Blogs.

There are a number of blog that I keep track of.  Some of them are agents, editors and established favorite authors.  People of the business that I love.   Some of them are authors that have cool stories with their blogs. 

I read one blog today that I have to talk about.  The blog title is "Should Unpublished writers Blog?
This is a good question.  One that I struggled with for some time before I decided I had some things to say and needed a forum to say them with. 

This blogger feels that unpublished writers who wish to blog should, but if the writer doesn't feel like they have anything to say, than maybe they shouldn't.  There is a lot more to it so, I have put a link for you to read and understand his point of view.  However its the comments that I found more interesting.  Check it out.  http://kidlit.com/2010/07/21/should-unpublished-writers-blog/

By the admittance of the blogger, he writes about the business of writing and keeps his private life out of it, except this one time when his cat got sick.  Years later people who meet him and have read his blog still ask about the cat.  Here's an interesting point.  While he feels it's a point of irritation.  His readers use it to connect with him on a personal level.  It makes him more human than just a business persona.

Why I started to blog:
I wanted to blog because I read that agents are looking for writers who have a readership going and can use that forum to sell their books.  I thought about this for some time.  Since I don't have a book yet why do it.  What do I write about?  Do I have enough to blog about?  Will people even care that I have a blog or what I think and feel? 

What I have learned is that while at first I worried if I had enough to talk about, I actually have more than I put on the blog to talk about, but don't have the time.  Bloggers who state that blogging is a time sucker, they are correct.  I could write about a lot, such as what happened on Bachlorette with Ali and Frank, or what is happening with Lindsey Lohan, or the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  I just figure there is enough about all that in the news. 

I am blogging about my life and women's issues.  Even though I haven't had much response I know I have readers.  They just haven't had a desire to comment yet.  I am unsure as to why, but my feeling is while I try to get a response from my readers, I will learn a great deal about writing.  While I go about my business of life, I find myself thinking of ways to write events that happen.  Not just for the blog but for my story and manuscript.  Doing this helps me become a better storyteller. 

Sometimes when I read other blogs I get an insight as to their thinking and am in awe.  A lot of the things that they write about is inspiring.  It may be in a small way but inspiring none the less.  When it's a small thing that makes a difference in happiness or a way of life how can one fault that.  Sometime it the combination of all the small things in someones life that make the bigger positive changes that is needed.  If we can read it over a period of time through that blog we, the reader, will have gained a better perspective of that person and how it has changed them.  We might even change ourselves because of it. 

I don't want to start my blog after my manuscript is published, because then all I'd want to talk about is the book, touring, writing, and selling my book.  I get bored with authors who write just about that stuff.  I want to get to know the author.  What they feel about things, how they go about their lives.  Even though I love their books and characters, lets face it, real people are not like exciting characters in a book. 

In blogging now, I will have learned a great deal on many things.  I will have established myself and have readers who think of me as a person.  Who know my writing and my voice.  Who trust that I will deliver a good story.  They will have gone through my struggles and triumphs.  Read about my doubts and fears.  Get updates on my progress and new storyline.  In essence become apart of my life.

The other thing that I realized is, I yearn to write.  Part of putting down my thoughts in this forum is to get them out of my head and relieve some of my stress.  When readers who comment and connect with me, than I know that I am not alone.  That makes all the difference in the world as to why I blog. 

What do you think?  Should you blog just for the sake of blogging or is there more to it than meets the eye.  Share, laugh, cry, grow and bond with others.  Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment