Friday, June 18, 2010

Another Disaster With My Bike

Thursday what a day. All I can say is it started out as usual, well as usual as it could get without my car. I got on my bike with my purse on one handlebar and my bag of items: books, an umbrella in case it rains, food and water on the other handlebar and I left for work. I was leaving a little earlier because I wrote my blog entry up the night before and I wanted to post it before work started in the morning.

I was excited; I had a lot on my mind and wasn’t watching what I was doing. The sidewalk was bumpy with cracks and holes so I was preparing to ride those bumps by lifting myself up out of my seat just a little bit using my legs.

There was a spot in the sidewalk right next to a house and a small restaurant, that dips and both edges on either side sticking out. Well I was riding my bike across that dip and for some reason; the bike stopped completely on one of the edges and I took a flying leap directly over the bike and right into the sidewalk, face first, with the bike and my stuff hitting me along the way. (Isn’t it fun.)

It was such a shock. First the bike completely stopped by that edge sticking out, then the amount of blood coming out of my nose. I thought I might have broken it there was so much blood. First thing I did was open my purse looking for tissues to stop the bleeding. I couldn’t find any, I was panicking and in the mean time, blood was dripping on my blouse, pants, sidewalk, purse, hands, everywhere. I finally found some way in the corner and put it on my nose.

Then I notice in my perpherial vision a letter carrier vehicle stopped next to me, a man jumped out and ask if I was okay. I told him “yes.” Then he asked me if I needed an ambulance. I told him “yes” again. Grabbing his phone, I heard him tell the dispatch what I look like. I had to smile, he said I was about 40 yrs old. (Actually I’m 10 yrs older.)  "I saw the whole thing." He explained.    

Later I learned he happens to be the office postman. I saw him later that day and we talked.  Once again he asked if I was alright.  (What a small world.)

I wasn’t sure I needed that ambulance I just knew I needed help. Then another man who works at the small restaurant came to see about me. He helped get the bike off me and give the postman directions for the ambulance, both waiting with me until it came.

The paramedics on arrival, one male and one female asked if I was okay. “Yes.” I said. They asked if my nose was broken. Then the female put two fingers one on each side of the bridge of my nose and checked. “No the nose isn’t broken.” She stated. (At that point if it was broken I sure I would have screamed.)

I felt pain under my left eye, my left leg where the bike fell on me hurt, and my nose hurt. The man from the restaurant and the female paramedic helped me get up. Then the paramedics took me into the cab of the ambulance and checked my vitals and got some information from me. This is where the man from the restaurant asked if he should put my bike inside so nothing happens to it. I told him please.
(That was a very nice thing for him to offer.)

The male paramedic said I was going to have some aches and pains over the next few days but the eye was going to be black and blue for a while. (The color as of today is purple.) The female paramedic gave me wipes to clean off the blood. Their tone was light and friendly, they were very attentive.

“How much is this going to cost me?” I asked curious. The male said, “This isn’t going to cost anything. It’s the ride to the hospital that cost.”

“Wow.” I said surprised. They let me go with instructions from the doctor at the hospital from the phone to take ibuprofen for the pain and ice packs on my eye.

“Okay, thank you.” I told them and I left.

I was reluctant to get back on the bike to finish my way to work but I had no choice really. The ride was safe enough. I was glad to be at work and sitting behind my desk.

First thing I did once I reached the office was wash my clothing of blood. I had splashes of wet all over me, but I didn’t care. I think I was too shocked to care. Anyway I then went across the street at a local dive and got some ice. Then went two blocks down to the local corner store and got some ibuprofen. Both times I had to explain why I had scratches on my face. I recounted what happened, everyone was patient and listened and put the appropriate ohh’s and ahhh’s. I didn’t mind retelling my story but in truth I wanted to sleep.

I stayed the entire day at work. Taking the ibuprofen and ice on my eye and aches and pains all over me, I’m not sure how I managed it. I did go to sleep early last night though.

Today I am very sore and my eye is swollen. I walked because the bike was acting weird. I’m still very tired.

I realize the importance of a bike helmet an arm and knee braces, also to put your stuff in a backpack or on the back of the bike instead of the handlebars. (I really didn’t want to kill myself in order to learn this!) I should be okay in a few days, but boy do I want my car back.

My boss upon learning I had the accident that morning gave me a ride home. Her and her husband piled my bike in the back of their van and drove me home. I am lucky to have a great boss like that.

Thinking back and writing about the accident and the whole situation I feel very blessed. It could have gone in a totally different direction and with a lot more disaster. From the immediate help I received from stranger who where willing to stop, and the very friendly and caring ambulance crew. I am grateful to all.

If you have a situation or a disaster that you would like to share, our readers can learn from your problems and how you deal with them and what you learned. Join in the discussion, and remember you don’t have to be a member. Share, laugh, learn, cry, grow and bond with other women. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment