Monday, January 17, 2011

The Diligent Writers Critiquing Group.

This is a reoccurring blog post.   I started the critiquing group because I needed feedback on my work.  Now the group is taking off.  Here is the latest post. 

The Diligent Writers Critiquing Group was Saturday and I arrived early so I could get something to eat and do a little writing on my laptop before the meeting.  But my girlfriend showed up early because she was hungry and wanted to eat, we got a chance to catch up. 

When the hour arrived to start the meeting no other writers arrived yet so since I have already read and critiqued the piece that she brought, we decided to read mine, the beginning of my second manuscript.  (This is only the second draft and I wanted some feedback.) 

Just as I started reading, wouldn’t you know that’s when another writer arrived.  After I read, both liked my piece but said that they would have liked to know a little more about my heroine before the trauma came.  I really like their ideas and will give it some thought.

We went onto the new girls work.  Her manuscript is a work in progress.  She gave us background on most of her characters.  The ideas are really good.  We gave her some ideas on the next process of her manuscript.

After an hour all of us has read and given feedback, we were just discussion a few thing when another person arrived. He’s a ghost writer and editor.  Somehow he got the time mixed up. 


Since we already read we gave him a chance to read.  He passed around his work in progress and we discussed it.  Then we all re-did our reading and we discussed what he thought would help.   Our editor/ghost writer gave us some really good ideas and was very helpful.  It’s always a joy to have him at my meeting or at the Greater Cleveland Writers Group. 

All in all the meeting went well and I learned a lot.  I still have problems with tenses, so the editor tells me, which I will work on. To write science fiction is to write in the past tense.  But while the characters are doing their things in the scenes the writing is in the present, that where the problem lies.  I’m told that a lot of new writers have this problem and also in point of view.   Only time and practice will solve these.

I love the group and am extremely glad I started it.  With each meeting, I learn about the wonderful world of writing.  I meet new friends and get great ideas on how to better my craft.  What a wonderful way to learn and grow and be among people who love what you do.   If you have a hobby and want support find a group or start one.   Until next time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment