Friday, February 18, 2011

Why I’ve been quiet lately:

I haven’t posted much lately except book reviews and a few other things.  It’s because I am writing.   I’m working on a short story. 

My latest work in writing is The Fiction Workshop book with over 100 exercises.  I’m working on number 5.  (I know, I know,  I’m not stuck and I have a long way to go.) 

The first chapter of the book discusses ways to get ideas to write.  Some of the exercises are to write about three different dreams, or three memories that happened in my childhood. 

Having had a bad childhood, this was not an easy task for me.  I started with a re-occurring dream I had for years.  However I was able to put a new twist on it and came up with something quite unexpected.  I’m really proud of the potential of that story. 
(Turning this one dream into a story changed the whole bad memory, something that would have never happened had I never explored the dream or the exercises.)

Another memory I had a dream crushed.  (NO, I’m not telling, as I said the dream was crushed.)  However I am taking the dream and adding another twist and adding lots of funny stuff to it and a big moral dilemma.  I’m still working on it.  I’m working with the characters back stories, personalities and plot twist.  I think the work in progress (WIP) will end up a novella.    (Novella is a short novel 50,000 words.) 

I also picked up a really good book on how to make the characters leap out of the page.  Of course I am applying the info to my work.  

Writing is a process and I am having a ball learning it.  I wonder how much I will have to face or write about in the future.  With 100 exercises I can only imagine, and I’m up to the task and journey.  Until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment