Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Review: “Captive Desires” By Diane Whiteside

Quiet Danae Livingston has two lives.  One is her lifeline, a career as a hardworking member of a top New York dance troupe:  The other is her secret passion.  Fanfic author who writes scorching tales about the haunting world of Torhtremer and about Alekhsiy, her favorite resident hero.  The only time her worlds merge is at GrifficCon, the summer’s largest science-fiction convention. 

There, an obsessed fan prowls the crowded convention halls, hunting for the one author who can rewrite Torhtremer’s saga to his own twisted liking and have the legendary villain Azherbhai win everything.

But Alekhsiy and Torhtremer are far more real than Danae or her devotees could ever imagine.  Knowing that danger from Earth threatens his home once again, Alekhsiy comes to GriffinCon to stop it, even if it means destroying the unknown dancer who’s saved his life so many times. 

Soon fantasy and reality will merge, swords and sorcery will cross, and the sensual world of one woman’s vivid imagination will be almost impossible to resist—or to escape.


This is my first time reading from this author.  While I enjoyed the story I have a few things to say regarding her writing.  First: at times I was unsure as to who was talking.  It wasn’t always clear.  At other time I was unsure as to what was happening and to whom.  A few times I was quite mixed up.  At those times I wanted to put the book down. 

Second:  during the sex scenes, the author used vulgar words that turned me off instead of turning me on.  Up until those words the scene was very good and sensual.  I almost put the books down during those times. 

I have read over 21 books from Sherrilyn Kenyon and in each she has about three sex scenes or more and in none of them does she put vulgar words that turn a person off. 

The words I don’t like in this book start with an F and a C, and they refer to the act of sex and a body part.  I am turned off by this writer.  It pains me to say this; where as I think writers are really cool people especially since I am one of them.  However I feel there are many ways to write sex scenes without becoming vulgar.  It is a great way to drive your audience away. 

Although I like the story, if I read another one of her books with vulgar language that turned me off it will be my last.  Some people may like that but I find it distasteful. 

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment