Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Out of Control: Moving Day.

The moving is complete including the cleaning of the old place. I went there yesterday and finished cleaning, even though I could barely move. It was extremely painful. I did receive most of my deposit back. However she gave me a check. Now I’m worried that the check will bounce.

The movers were very professional I must say. There were two young boys both with strong arms. One of them picked up boxes of books and placed them outside in stacks of three so the other one uses the dolly and bring them to the truck.

They took my entire two bedroom apartment in one truck load. They packed the boxes first and then stuffed all the cubby holes with little odds and ends and then put bands to secure the items. Then they systematically placed all my furniture in, making sure that blankets cover the surfaces and secured them with bands. It was a work of art.

While they packed the truck I cleaned up after them. I vacuumed each room and then began to clean the kitchen cabinets. I had cleaned the refrigerator and stove and a lot of the cabinets prior, and that morning I cleaned up some of the bathroom. The morning went very well.

When we arrive at my new place, it was total chaos. My girlfriend was still moving her stuff out; there was a pile of her things outside on the lawn. She was attempting to clean up the kitchen. The place was a sight.

My girlfriend explained to me before I moved in that the place needed a lot of work. The place I was leaving was very beautiful. New kitchen cabinets, beautiful tile flooring. The bathroom was a dream and most of the place was hardwood floor. I had a complete basement with washer and dryer.

So the new place. What I see is carpet had been pulled out from the dining and hallways. There were nails by the walls all around these room. The floors are bare and dirty. The rugs had been cleaned just a few hours and weren’t dry yet. The two bedrooms, living room and front hall have an odor it them. There are no screens on most of the window to get air circulating. Just open windows with flies coming in at their leisure. The toilet seat is broken and just placed on the rim. The shower is permanently stained and the entire bathroom is dirty. The basement was scary to look at. It was going to be a place for the cats to run and move around. I decided against it.

My girlfriend was doing laundry and the basement was extremely warm. It seems there is no dryer outlet for the moisture to filter out of the basement. Further there was a room that my girlfriend said her daughter uses as a playroom. That room was completely stripped. It was filthy, wet and humid from the dryer, with broken glass, trash and dirt everywhere. I had no choice but to place my precious cats in that awful room, at least until we got everything into the house.

Getting everything into the house is another thing altogether. One of the two boys had to go home so just one was left to move everything. I was worried. I started to help as much as I could but those boxes, very heavy. The mover owner called in reinforcements. The newest man came in and started removing stuff out of the big truck.

I went into the house to bring some of the stuff from the car, only to see the new mover man placing everything in one room. I have it clearly shown on each box where it goes. Nope, he put everything in to the one room. I explained that if he put everything in this room where am I supposed to sleep. Also how am I going to get everything into the other rooms later after they were done for the evening? He didn’t understand and was angry the rest of the night. He started to place the rest of my stuff on the lawn, all of it. After the truck was empty he sat in a chair until the owner came back and took him home. (He left to do an errand)

Some time during all this moving I started crying because I left a beautiful apartment and moved into a dump. And my girlfriend was crying because she was moving out of a place she loves and into a place she can't stand.  ???
One of the boys after seeing me cry stayed with me and made sure that everything was placed in the room it was supposed to go into. He installed my TV set and converter box. He also installed my air conditioner in my bedroom. I probably shouldn’t have done that because the rug was still wet. Now there is a smell in there. (I just can’t get a break?)

I brought all the cats upstairs as soon as I could and placed them into what would be my office. They were happy to be out of the basement but still apprehensive.

Today I feel extremely out of control. The fact that so much needs to be cleaned and fixed in my living space is overwhelming. I knew I would have to go and finish cleaning the old apartment so I couldn’t get anything done yet. Today I have a meeting after work so it will be another day of chaos. 

One good thing is I have Wednesday morning to do a little bit, but it will be more cleaning. (Ugh.) Right now I am trying to calm down so I am writing. Writing it out helps a little but not much. The only thing I can think to do is make a list of what needs to be done and do them one at a time. My heart is broken and hurting from this whole process.

Those past few days the only consolation I have is my precious cats. They make me smile and bring me joy.

Well everyone you are up to day. Hopefully I can get back to writing and what I really love. Please be patient a little longer, I might be moved but now I have to organize. The storyline will be posted next week and will continue from there. Thank you for following and have a great day. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment