Friday, April 22, 2011

Update on Braveheart. Life after being fixed.

Braveheart is a rescued kitty I found one day.  He has been in my home since July 2010.  He was only four weeks old at the time and needed medical attention.  He grew up fast and became a burden with his fighting the other cats, spraying everyday and wanting to go outside.  One day he attacked me for a misunderstanding.  I placed him in a room away from the others and away from food and water.  It was hours before his first visit to the vets to be fixed.  He attacked me and I put him outside.  This broke my heart.

Braveheart was out in the world for three weeks before he came back to me.  He was in a grassy area near the alleyway by my house.  He was skinny and frightened, cold and hungry.  I was so happy to see him, I approached.  He remembered me and began meowing very loudly.  I coaxed him to follow me back to the house.  He did, all the way to the front door.  He was nearly under my feet as I walked.  I had to be careful not to step on him.

I reluctantly went into the house worried that he would think I wasn’t going to help him.  When I came out with food he had already began to walk away.  I shook the bowl of food.  As soon as he heard it he came running.  He was so hungry he knocked over the bowl attacking it and he meowed at the same time.  I wanted to stay with him but I had to go to work.  I wondered if he would be there when I came home.  He was and I was thrilled.  Originally I had intended him to stay outside and I would continue to care for him.  At the time he refused to come into the house, but I would not abandon him even if he was no longer under my protection.

A few days after his return he wanted to come back into the house.  I allowed him to.  The other cats hissed at him and he acquiesced to their punishment for leaving.  But after four days he started to have the same wild tendencies he had before.  The good news was I had an appointment for him to be fixed the next day.  This time I didn’t put him in the room and the next morning was able to get him safely to the Vets.

Now that he is home, fixed and recovering, he is learning to be a kitty of luxury.  He seems happy although touchy at times.  He still is recovering from the wild outside cats and the huge world he was unaware of living in my home.  Hopefully he will learn that he will be loved, pampered and protected for all the days of his life.

I look forward to having him sit on my lap getting a rub behind his ears and me telling him how happy I am to have him with us, and of course that I love him.  He in turn will learn to trust me and love me back.   That is all I want.

Until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment