Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Diligent Writers Critiquing Group April Meeting.

This is the 2nd meeting for the group from Meetup and it went really well.  We had nine people including me.  Some were from the Greater Cleveland Writers Group and a few were new writers.

Each person had a chance to read a bit of their work and received feedback.  I am happy to say we have some really good writers.  They also gave some really constructive feedback.

After the group left there were some writers that stayed behind to talk with me.  We had a discussion of a smaller group that I want to have.  A group of six writers with on going projects that want continuous feedback until the project is finished.   A few of them stated that they want to be involved.  I am pleased.

I am sorry to say the restaurant where we met was loud and very disruptive.  It was hard for the writers to read their own work and to hear the others read.  I could tell everyone including myself was extremely annoyed. I was very embarrassed.  I should have found a better location.  When I first started it I had a few tell me to just hold it at a coffee house.  I was worried about the noise then but we prevailed. After this last meeting there was no discussion I was making a call.

Previously I had a location picked out but the owners weren’t ready for us having just started the business. 

Here’s the good new:
Just as I was leaving the restaurant, the person I was just going to call walked in.  “I need to talk to you.”  I told her, and we did.  We agreed upon the new location and terms, but now I have to charge a nominal fee to cover the cost.  I think the group will be okay with the small amount as long as we don’t have the disruption of the restaurant.

I also have some good news.  The owner and I discussed the option of having a workshop at the location.  We have set a date, now I am working on putting it together.  I am so excited about the potential growth of the workshop.   If it goes well, we can have more and make the group a really good resource for writers.

I am so glad that I went to The Greater Cleveland Writers Group first.  From there I have met and networked with some wonderful people.  Then I started my own group and now we have the promise of a great future.  Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment