Tuesday, October 19, 2010

National Novel Writing Month:

November is National Novel Writing Month.   What is National Novel Writing Month?  or NaNoWrMo for short you ask.   It’s where a lot of writers across the nation take the full month of November to write everyday and at the end of the month write out a manuscript. 

This will be my first time participating and I’m scared and excited at the same time.  The minimum amount of words is 50,000 but the average novel is 100,000 words.  So in my estimation 50,000 words is the beginning of a novel or the foundation, and the revisions will ad the other 50,000 words.  That includes the explanation, description, subplots and more, tightening up everything and making the novel the best it can be.  That will take the rest of the year to clean up.  (Maybe)

I think it is a great thing to participate in.   Writers group all over the world are gearing up with word counts widgets, and ways to keep track. 

To get to 50,000 words in one month the writer must write around 1,600 or 1,700 per day every day even Saturday and Sunday.   It’s a great way to become disciplined.  Some will write more some less.  Using the word count is a great gage on how you are doing.    

In some of the online writing groups that I belong to, we are advertising our intent to participate and becoming buddies to urge each other on.  I have started on a plot outline and some characters in preparation.  Everyone wish me luck.  I will write on my progress throughout the month and what I’ve learned. 

I want to confess that this will be my first attempt to complete a manuscript in one month.  I am truly challenging myself on this.  I have never completed much in my life. If I where to accomplish this one task, than in my estimation I will have overcome something in my life that has held me back for years.  Once done this is just the beginning.  

If you’re participating in NaNoWrMo and wish to buddy up with me let me know or look for me on the website.   Together we can accomplish anything.  Here’s to your success.  If you have a story to share, or going through something similar we would love to hear it.    Until next time.   


No comments:

Post a Comment