Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Critiquing Group.

I founded The Diligent Writers Critiquing Group.  This month we had it last weekend. 

What an exciting group of writers we have. There was some new people and some returning writers.  Everyone was able to read something and receive valuable feedback. 

The first thing I want to say is we have some talented writers in the group that are writing really interesting manuscripts.  One writer is a blogger, I had a short story that I wanted feedback on and one person started a new manuscript and wanted feedback on his ideas.  We also had several who are working on manuscripts. 

As each of us read over the period of the two hours we got into big discussions of different things and the best way to write it.  One thing most of us realize is that when we read not everything can be told within those words, and a lot of times things aren’t always thought through.  So when we read our work out loud, other can see things we can’t or don’t see things we need too. 

I love the big discussions we have.  I encourage everyone to put their ideas o the table.  How will we be better writers if we can’t handle a little feedback? For every time we gather for the group I learn a lot, I can’t speak for others but I am hopeful that the group learns from the feedback and each other. 

We have such a good time being together and learning and discussing that some don’t leave until one and a half hours later.  This is exciting to me.  I started the group with the intention of getting feedback for my work.  (I couldn’t find a group like that so I started one.)  Now that the group is together it is so much more.  It is very rewarding. 

I also have started several classes.  One is a smaller critiquing group for writers who have a manuscript done and are working on the revisions.  This class requires commitment until the project is finished. 

I also started another class for a foundation of fiction writing.  This is a 10 month commitment with over 100 exercises. 

As all of us work toward our goals and work on our projects these simple classes and groups setting can make a difference in each writer’s lives.  It gives me great pleasure in being a catalyst for growth within the group. 

Until next time.  

Picture by picture.com pictures.com

No comments:

Post a Comment