Sunday, February 19, 2012

Moving part 1

One of the things I had been thinking about doing was simplifying my life. My children are gone and I’m older.  I don’t really need the burden of having all that stuff.  Things have to be maintained. One way to simplify is to downsize.

Now when it comes to simplifying, one of the things I had and didn’t want to get rid of was my car.  It broke down and the cost to have it fixed was beyond my means at the time.  I was faced with the daunting task of public transportation.   How was I going to get groceries, do my errands.  It was heart breaking.  I figured it out but it wasn’t easy. 

So back to the moving:
As everyone knows, one of the hardest things is packing all the stuff you’ve accumulated over the years.  At no other time do we have a glimpse of how much useless stuff we have until we have to pack it up in neat boxes.

The Simplifying thing:
Looking around, what to do first? I currently have a 2 bedroom apartment.  I was going to move into a very small 1 bedroom apartment.  I mean one room holds the living room and kitchen.  There is a small bathroom on one side and a really small bedroom on the other side, about half the size of my current bedroom.  So what to do? You do the obvious, decide what to keep and what to throw away. 

I walked into each room and began to decide what to get rid of.  Some of it was easy. My life took different turns and some things I meant to do didn’t happen, so those got tossed right away.  After that I had to take stock of what I really needed and used.  Some things I had were really old such as makeup and toiletries those were tossed over the shoulders. 

As I was packing boxes, even more was tossed.  Then something occurred to me.  A lot of the stuff I had was given to me by close friends, family members, during special dark times in my life.  Lots of that stuff was tossed over that shoulder.  Man I was throwing away a lot.  

Then I realized there was a lot of stuff I hadn’t used in a lonnnnng time. Why am I keeping it?  I easily filled up the big huge trashcan that the city provides.  My normal trash is one small bag every two weeks.   Each week I had them filled to capacity.  Each week that I unloaded a portion of my old life, I felt lighter, uplifted, it was very liberating. I also started to give things away, that was fun.

Next thing, what to do about most of my furniture…

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment