Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Moving Part 2

The saying goes “You know who your friends are when you have to move.”  This was the case when it came to my move day.  Everything was all set to go.  One of the friends had another friend with a truck that was going to help.  I just had to pay the gas. 

The night before the move, I get a text.  “Sorry can’t help you move.” 
WHAT!  I called my girlfriend in a panic.  She didn’t answer, so I left a voice message.  Then I got to thinking maybe I should text her since she text me.  I got another text back stating “I’m throwing up blood.” 
I text back, “What about friend with truck?”  No response.   

I didn’t know what to think.  I went to bed that night with a heavy heart.  I prayed all would be well.  The next day, at the appointed hour, NO one showed up. Not one person who said they would help called or anything.  I was left with no help and a ton of stuff to move.  Even thought I got rid of a lot there was still enough. 

Knowing full well I was in deep poop I devised a half crazed plan.  I called the local Uhaul truck company and managed to rent a truck for 24 hours. *Wiping forehead*  I just had to pick it up, then see if I can find a few homeless guys that wanted to earn some money. They hang out at local churches sometimes.  Maybe a few will be there, I hope. 

 I walked to the bus stop and what a long walk it was. I sat down and I couldn’t help it, started crying my eyes out.  I haven’t cried that hard in a while.  The person waiting at the stop asked what was the matter.  I couldn’t stop crying.  Then I heard my name.  I looked up and one of the guys who was going to help but didn’t show up, was standing there, at the bus stop.  When I explained what happened, between wet eyes and sniffles, he agreed to help me move. 

We took the bus together and picked up the Uhaul truck then proceeded to my apartment and packed up what we could.  You should have seen all those boxes stacked up among other things.  Some of the furniture was to be given to the guys and gal who help me move, that was part of the bargain.  Now the furniture was thrown away.  What else could I do?  I certainly couldn’t take it with me.  My new apartment was too small.  What a waste, perfectly good furniture someone could have used. 

Still some of the pieces were going but they were too big and one man couldn’t move it by himself.  He needed help so he made some calls and finally located someone who agreed, his friend was going to meet up with us the next day. 

After hours of lifting and going up and down 20 steps, we finally unloaded all the stuff.  My back and legs were mush.  My friend seemed fine.  (I hate that)  He just shrugged and smiled.  " I do this kind of work everyday."  he said. 

Anyway my friend stayed with me in the new apartment.  It seemed harsh to make him take the bus home then come back the next day.  I had big pillows he laid on the floor and I had my new twin bed.

It's always hard to sleep in a new place.  We both got SOME sleep but he even complained the next morning.   By the way he was a complete gentleman.  Not only that, he paid for breakfast the next day. 

Now to just get the rest of the stuff.  Man we really need this other person that's coming.   

Until Next Time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment