Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Updates on National Novel Writing Month.

I have been participating in NaNoWriMo this month.  What is NaNoWriMo.  Every year writers across the world participate in writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. 

I heard that this was possible but never thought it would be true in my life.   I figured why not give it a try.  We are at the half point of the month and to get to 50,000 the participants need to be at or over the 25,000 word count.  At the moment I am at 25,038 and will do more tonight.  I am right where I need to be. 

What am I learning about this experience?
First and foremost I am learning discipline.  Every day I write on my laptop.  My particular story has multiple points of view, so I ask my characters what are they doing and how they feel?  Every day I continue those threads and plot lines.  I get into their heads and feel what they are feeling.  Sometime I have no words for what they feel.  So I have to get to the root of it and try as best as I can to explain. 

Second: for every day that I write I’m gaining in confidence, and in my ability to be a writer and to tell a story.  Each night while sleeping something occurs to me about the story, so I begin that thought and thread the next day.  The story and characters are becoming more rounded.  

Third I am in contact with other participants through emails.   Some are doing well; some are coming up with excuses.  I’m staying the course and being the strong one.  Usually it’s the other way around.  I’m usually asking others to support me. 

Forth I am so determined to finish this story because it is interesting.   The first manuscript that I wrote had two characters, that were key to the plot, but not much is told about them.  When doing their back stories for that manuscript, I thought it would be fun to write their stories and the world they came from for this manuscript; it’s another realm by the way.  So the world I created is wide open and becoming more real to me, which may open up for more stories.

There are some things that need to be set up at the ending of this story, in order to leap to the next story.  I’m not sure how that will happen but I leave that to my subconscious.  With each paragraph, plot and twist the story blossoms.  I am very excited and wondrous at the process.   Will give update next week. 

If you are participating in National Novel Writing Month and wish to share your experience we would love to hear them.  What have you learned about yourself during the process?  How has it changed you?  Will you keep writing if you didn’t achieve your goal?  Share, laugh, cry, grow and bond with other women.   Until next time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment